Date(s) - Saturday 9th May, 2015
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
City Coast Centre
Categories No Categories
Saturday 9th May 2015
Trainer: Pat Williams
Venue: Training Room, City Coast Centre, Portslade (Brighton & Hove), BN41 1DG
Schedule: 10am to 4.30pm (Registration at 9.45am)
Course Fee: early bird £95 (before 11th April 2015; £105 thereafter), including ample lunch, all refreshments, and CPD Certificate
This workshop will introduce the group members to the idea of the power of stories, and give them confidence in knowing how to choose and tell stories which may be helpful to others, particularly in the context of therapy. It should also deepen your personal understanding of stories, though this aspect will not be explicitly addressed.
The workshop will be moulded and influenced by the needs of participants on the day but the range of topics likely to be covered will include some but not all (not enough time!) of the following:
- The biological basis for narrative and story
- Demonstration-exercise of the power of story to steer or shape lives
- Stories as diagnostic tools
- The many facets of metaphor
- Pattern recognition
- Confidence-building exercises for group members
- Facilitating relevant stories arriving in the mind
- A method of working ‘from the outside’ to discover what metaphor will be useful for a student or therapy client or child.
- Information drawn from recent research in neuroscience.
- Hints and tips on how to tell a story
- Practice in ‘metaphoric narrative’: speaking about commonplace experiences – with a subtext
- Where to find stories, and how to remember them easily.
- Final consolidating storytelling exercise.
- Case histories and applicable stories
- The enduring power of stories to teach, to heal, to show a path
- Why stories heal
- The crucial need in our society for more ‘real’ stories to be told
You can get full details about the venue for this event by clicking on the name of the location (highlighted in blue) next to the venue map at the top of this page. This will take you to a page with full details about the venue.
Bookings will close when this course is fully booked. You can add you name to the Reserve List by sending an email to info@brightontherapypartnership . You will then be notified if a place becomes available for you.
This event is fully booked.